Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sugar and Panic Attacks

When I first started having panic attacks in October 2010, I looked into what caused them and what I could do to prevent them. I was scared to death of having them because they literally made me feel like I was going to die. I read a lot of stuff about blood work being "off," thyroid and what not. I had that tested in the hospital so I knew all that was okay. I also read a lot about caffeine being the culprit of many panic attacks. However, because of my heart problems, I had cut out caffeine years ago. I came across several articles talking about a person's diet and panic attacks. My favorite is short sweet and to the point. And it says to limit sugar.

Now, I did this for awhile, pretty successfully I might add. Then, the panic attacks subsided and all was well with my world again. About a month ago, I started eating sugary type stuff again (candy, chocolate etc). And, I have started having the panicky feelings again. I haven't had a full blown panic attack yet but I know that one is possible. So, to avoid this, I am cutting out sugar again. And this may be something I have to do for the rest of my life to control panic attacks. Fruit is okay..I can have fruit. Candy and refined sugar is not okay. And this is what I am cutting out. Plus, on the bright side, cutting sugar may help me lose a little weight. I am still working on the losing weight and cutting sodium. All of this HAS to help me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment